Thursday, September 11, 2008

XYZ...

I got a new pair of jeans a few months ago, but because I live in Texas I haven't had the opportunity to wear them. So this morning when it was still in the 70's I decided I had waited long enough. I slipped them on and they fit so nicely and looked great with the ensemble I prepared and headed out the door for the day.

Just to recap, a few weeks ago we had some guests over. The gentelman was speaking to us and looked down mid-sentence and said aloud, "Oh, my zipper is down, better take care of that!!" I was so embarrased for the fine fellow and came to the conclusion that if I were in his place I would probably excuse myself from the residence and never make contact again. But he pulled up his zipper and calmly finished his thoughts.

Now, back to today. Tuesday and Thursday I "work" with Wes. 10 to 2 I ran to the bathroom and then headed out the door to pick up the boys. I walk inside the school wait a few minutes, make small talk with the teachers, and then head over to our public library to pick up some books. After standing in line and once again making small talk with just about everyone in the library I check out my books and take the boys to the car. I got the boys situated in their seat belts and then just as I was about to buckle my own belt I noticed. "XYZ Kate", geez, how long had that thing been down?

Embarrased...mortified...surprisingly no. What's the big deal about a zipper being down I've decided. The kind jean people have made that extra piece of material that covers up your unmentionables. So what gives? I calmly pulled it back up and continued my day.

So my question to you today is, how do you react when you realize your fly is down?

9 comments:

Jill Land said...

I'm with you Kate. I say, "oops, thanks for telling me" (that is, if they tell me) and then I zip-er-up!
My thought is, why not tell them? I would want them to tell me.
Also, I think after a certain point of being a mom, the whole embarrassing thing is just kind of old. It takes a little bit more now-a-days to embarass this mom!
(how did you know it was my b-day?)

Kristen said...

I have a "shirt" dress that buttons all down the front...and you guessed it, one of my buttons popped open at church and someone had to tell me about it. I was a bit embarrassed in the moment, but I buttoned up and thankfully it was at my waist, so it could've been worse. And I haven't thought about it again until now, so it wasn't a huge ordeal apparently:)

Burk Family said...

I went through a rough patch in college when I could NOT remember to zip the darn thing up. I was telling someone about it and looked down and it was totally open. It was awesome. I've gotten better but yeah, who cares? Especially when you are thin and it is not like totally open. This guy in my field bio class one day had his fly down and had his hands jammed in his pockets and the thing was WIDE open. All us really mature girls were giggling like crazy. Poor guy.

Krystal said...

I saw as long as there is nothing to see there is no need to be embarrassed. Usually you are the the first one to notice anyways, I don't think many people make it a point of going around checking other people's zippers. :)

I was at the library and I saw a woman with curly blonde hair and I thought of you! I miss you guys.

Peggy said...

Okay, so here's a good one. Last week in Guatemala. The women in these primitive villages all wear dresses made from the same pattern. To accomodate all the nursing moms (and believe me, there are plenty of them!) they have these two little zippers along side of their little milk machines, if you know what I mean. Anyway, this young mother was 7 months prego and sat down in the chair, when I realized that her little zipper was down and she was all hanging out and stuff. Mind you, we have a missionary standing there translating for us, and I didn't want him to get an eyeful, so I am panicking and saying to Lee, "Where are the patient towels? Where are they? Quick!" So I found them and covered her up as quick as I could, hoping that our little elder didn't notice. But really now... he noticed.

The Staub Squad said...

okay, you win. that is really bad. but you do know, she probably could care less if she was hanging out and stuff.

sheriee staub said...

Zippers do not concern me. If you are pleasingly plump, you just wear pants with elastic around the waist.

Love, Sheriee

Heather and Scott said...

I think having my zipper down use to be more embarassing but yes after you have kids there are alot more embarassing things.

aubony, lars and the girls said...

With the way some people dress in public now days, I think your zipper being down is the last thing you have to worry about. I am completely suprised how many women now days go places and don't wear a bra and it is so obvious that they aren't, HELLO!