Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Tyler Half


(pre-race jitters, driving to the starting point)

Well, I did it again, as crazy as it may seem. I ran another 13.1 miles.
A while ago I befriended a girl at the gym. We met while we ran on the treadmill. Occasionally I would catch her looking at my speed and distant, and if we're all being honest here, I sometimes checked out what she was running. Finally one day she said, "Thanks for being my silent running buddy. I wanted to stop then you showed up and helped me finish."


Since then we have become running friends. I ran my first half and subsequently she entered and ran in her first, and second and lots of other races. It had been a year and half since I ran my first half and she motivated me to do it again. I remember the day, we talked about it and I came home with the determination to do it again. I called up a friend and said, "hey wanna run a half marathon with me?" She said yes and the rest is history. We began training a few weeks later in the middle of the summer. The only way to escape the heat was to get up at 5 am and beat it, those were hard days. It all paid off yesterday!

Throughout the course of training several other girls joined in the running fun. We had so much fun going on our long Saturday runs and stopping off for a smoothie afterwards. However, due to pneumonia and several other leg injuries, not to mention crazy schedules some of our devoted running buddies couldn't run in the race.



(miles 8 or 9, giving some of my fans, aka Log and Ben a "high five", check out the guy behind me, don't know exactly what he's smiling about, also his shoes. I read about them in this book, crazy to see)


So those who could saddled up for a trip east to Tyler Texas. (Have you even ever heard of it?) We had a great time, we went to Olive Garden and pounded pasta the night before, then woke up early for what looked like perfect running weather(and it was!!).


(mile 10, Wes drove passed me in the car, I was walking. He said, "don't quit now only 3 miles left. Then I pointed to the water, "just getting a drink sweetie" I replied. I haven't mastered the art of drinking and running at the same time.)

It was a HARD run, hills up the wazoo. They killed me and my time, but I finished and can put it down in the record books(my journal of course). Thanks for all who ran with me, motivated me, supported me, and cheered me on(either personally or mentally its all the same). I loved it and can't wait to do it again!

(the finish, check out the medal, s! Don't know if you can tell by our faces but we are glad to be done!)

My neighbor called today and asked me if I won. That you might all get a good laugh out of that one, clearly he doesn't understand the word elite!

14 comments:

Burk Family said...

Kate- I'm so proud of you! You are a great motivator. I am like right on the fence about this one coming up. It's a pain to train for it but I want to do it. Annoying. Let's go for a run when I'm in Texas. Can't wait to see you guys.

wrightNOW said...

Congrats to you and April! What an accomplishment. And you guys look so cute after too! Hope you and your cute family are doing well!

Kemp and Whitney said...

That's so amazing! You go girl!

Kayla said...

Congratulations! I wish it was me, I've have had to start all over since having my baby. I'm to the point where I can run 3 miles at a time, I've got a long way to go.

PS I'm can't believe that was your after the race picture You look just as pretty as the pre race picture, Lucky girl!

Dan and LaVon said...

You and April look great. Nice to see girls doing great and representing Colorado so well. You two rock!!!

Unknown said...

I am so proud...you are truly the GIRL...way to go :)

Unknown said...

Sweet Kate - You are amazing, and I only wish I could have been there to cheer you on. Of course, your most important fans were there. SOOOOOOO proud of you, and thanks for posting about it. Can't wait to see you at the lake this weekend.
Love, Sheriee

Ruth and Steve said...

Wow!! That is so exciting. I am jealous. I love that feeling of accomplishment. You are my motivator!

Peggy said...

Never quit running!
Never quit running!
Never quit running!
Never quit running!
Never quit running!
Never quit running!


Or you will get old and fat like your mother.
I am proud of you! You are my inspiration!
Love you!

Aubony said...

Way to go Kate!!! You should be so proud of yourself!

Amber Staub said...

You are so amazing! I wish we lived closer so you could be my running buddy. You're a good motivater. Way to go on your medal too!

Kate said...

just realized this, but you can't even see the medals, duh.

Heather and Scott said...

Wow that is awesome! I don't think I could ever do that. And yeah you finally updated your blog!!!!

Krystal said...

Wow! You guys are amazing!