Friday, April 4, 2008

Decathlon

I'm sure you all know, but for those of you who don't, I am the Stake Girl's Camp Assistant. That means, one, I have to attend girls camp(as the YW secretary you don't, and by attend I mean go the entire week, even an extra day to set up) and two, I am responsible for coming up with ideas for large camp activities. The biggest activity I am responsible for is the infamous 4th yr overnight hike.
Our camp theme is "Go for the Gold" in honor of the summer Olympics. I have thus decided to stem off that theme and make the 4th yr hike the "Decathlon." What I have envisioned for the girls is to compete in/complete 10 tasks/events during the overnighter. 5 being camp certifications (ie set up camp, build a fire, etc...)and 5fun activities similar to events elementary kids would participate in at field day (ie shoe kick, three legged races, etc..) My favorite activity I found on the Internet was called Chicken toss, which is, who can throw the rubber chicken the farthest.
My dilemma is now, how do I prolong these activities, or how to make them a competition and have it last an entire evening and morning? My vision has turned into a nightmare of completing the tasks in the first hour and not having a plan for the remaining 12 hours I have with a bunch of 15 yr olds and random leaders I'm not acquainted with from throughout the stake.
I need your help. Give me all your juicy ideas. The good, the bad, the ugly, I'll take it all!! Plus I need more ideas of how to make it feel like an Olympic event(I've thought of judges, bib numbers, coaches).
Please, please help me.

11 comments:

Peggy said...

I sent some ideas in an email since it was too long to post here. One suggestion I have is to call your events by the real names, i.e. "Rubber Chicken Toss" is actually called the "Discus Throw," etc. You could also have an opening ceremony with a torch (lots of spiritual significance here) and make flags with the Olympic rings (which could represent interlocking hands of friendship).
Good luck!
Love,
Mom

Jamie said...

I'm sorry I don't have any ideas right now. I'll let you know if I think of some. The ideas you have sound great! And I don't think you have to worry about free time...the girls might enjoy having time to relax and bond. (I know I did when I was a fourth year.) Good luck!

P.S. I'm so excited you are coming here! Please call so we can get together. Miles will be so excited when I tell him!

Burk Family said...

Hey, I've been trying to think of something helpful to put on here but I'm not what you would call "creative". It sounds like its going to a lot of fun, though!

sheriee staub said...

Kate - I will give it a little thought and call you. I like all your mother's comments. And, I do think the girls don't mind lots of time to just goof off and bond. All of your ideas sound great, and I know it will be fun. Don't overstress about it.
Sheriee

Chelsea and Evan said...

Sounds like a Great idea. I wish that I had some ideas for you. If we think about any we will be sure to let you know. Good luck!

Jamie said...

I had a thought last night...you could have an opening and/or closing ceremony and have the girls plan a skit or dance or something as part of the ceremony. This could use up any of their extra time you are worried about. Anyway, just an idea!

Jamie said...

Oops! Now I just read your mom's comment. Sorry for the duplication of ideas!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Teclado e Mouse, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mouse-e-teclado.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Placa de Vídeo, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://placa-de-video.blogspot.com. A hug.

Knight knughts said...

I agree with your mom. I love the torch ceremony especially since the torch has so much significance to the YW. This may be your plan already but and depending on how big your group is it is a good way for the girls to get to know each other and share or find talents. Split the girls into teams and give them a list of events. Have them discuss who will do each event. An announcer/host would be fun too. good Luck

Peggy said...

Who is the weirdo posting the comments? I got the same one, verbatim, except the name was Cellulite. "Your post is likeable and very interesting. congratulations.:-)" Crazy weirdos...