Thursday, April 17, 2008

Lymphadenitis???


(Please note swelling on HIS left side, if you can even see it from the pics.)

On Monday Logan told me that his neck was hurting. I just played it down and told him he probably slept on it funny. Tuesday, same story. It was not a constant pain, but rather it only hurt when he would turn his neck, so again played it off, "Logan sometimes you sleep on your neck funny, it's called a kink." It wasn't until last night as I was rushing to put him into bed(so I could eat dinner, mind you it is 8:15, and it was a very, very long day with the boys...Wes was gone, went straight from work to do EQ visits)and frantically pulling his pjs on(as he was not going fast enough) when he again said, "Ouch mom, my neck."
Initially I though, ok, enough is enough. So I pulled him close and felt his neck. Sure enough he had a large lump in his neck. So, what was my next step? Well, the same step that I always take when something happens to my children. I called my mom. Never mind that fact that I am a nurse and have worked on a pediatric unit doing patient care. She told me to call the ER. That is when the panic set in. Immediately and without thinking I burst into tears, called Wes and told him he needed to come home now. Then I called the doctor. The nurse called me back a few minutes later and calmed me down and said it sounded like swollen lymph nodes. He didn't need to be seen immediately, but first thing in the morning. He went in today and sure enough he has Lymphadenitis, an infection in his lymph nodes. Not only one node, but two in his neck. He started antibiotics today and the swelling should go down in 2-4 wks. If not, he'll need to be seen again. Crazy. We solely keep North Dallas Pediatrics in business. Between ear infections, strep throat, well-care visits, nurse maids elbow, and lymphadenitis we soley keep North Dallas Pediatrics in business. Maybe I should talk them into setting up some sort of frequent flyer miles with them and then I'll at least be getting something from the deal besides stress, anxiety, and a belly ache!!

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh my! Poor Logan! (and poor you!) Thank goodness for pediatricians and hospitals. Last April we had 3 visits to urgent care or the ER in one month. (But thankfully not much since...knock on wood!) Get better soon, Logan!

Peggy said...

Logan, we love you and are so sorry that you have a sore neck. Get better real soon, Buddy. Kate, I am sorry I panicked you, but when you said, "golf ball size lump" I sorta panicked, too. Thank goodness for antibiotics. We'll pray they work real soon.
Love,
Mom

Chelsea and Evan said...

We are glad to hear the everything is going to be ok. Send Logan our love!

Unknown said...

Ohh I can see the swelling...poor logan.. :( I know you told me that he's on antibiotics so hopefully that will work and help with the swelling. :)